You may need to rebuild your icon cache in Windows Vista or 7 if system or application icons disappear, or become mixed up. While this is a particularly rare occurrence diagnosing the problem and finding a solution for those less experienced can often be difficult.
The following 11 steps will delete your icon cache:
- Close all applications and file explorer windows
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open Task Manager
- Click the Process tab, highlight Explorer.exe and select End Process
- Click End Process in the pop-up confirmation box
- From the application menu, click File and select New Task (Run…)
- Type CMD.exe and click OK to open the Command Prompt
- Type CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local and press return
- Then type DEL IconCache.db /a and press return
- Finally, type exit and press return to close the Command Prompt
- From Task Manager click File and select New Task (Run…)
- Type Explorer.exe and click OK.
Windows Explorer will now start and your images should now display correctly. If this doesn’t work, the alternative method below should do the trick:
- Press the Windows key + R and a Run Dialog window will pop up
- Type ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache and click OK.
This will immediately delete and then refresh your icon cache and should resolve the problem.